Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Time to Update! Veggie Burgers!

Ok, it has been FAR too long since I've posted on this blog.  Sometimes it's hard to be motivated to keep up.  However, inspired by my recent obsession with all things home-made, I have decided to start posting more of my day-to-day adventures in cooking, baking, and just generally being more crafty and resourceful around the house.  Couponing has helped me to save money when I shop, but cooking home-made things that usually can be bought at the store has become my most recent challenge!  So, without further wordiness, I'd like to post the first home-made HIT recipe from my MOM, for the most finnicky of eaters!  This is her recipe for vegetarian burgers and it is FANTASTIC.  Meat cravings, OUT the window!:-)  Well, hopefully;-)



Ok so I said I'd post the recipe, this is COURTESY OF MY MOMMA! Thanks MOM! :-)  These burgers are the PERFECT burgers to impress any meat lover with.  You can add extra sliced cheese or just dress with tomato & lettuce and your favorite toppings...its good cheeseburger style or not and it has cheese built right in anyway!:) Here goes:


Oat-Nut Burgers

4 cups water
4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick cook kind)
1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari--I use tamari because its so rich in flavor)
1/3 cup veg. oil
1 cup chopped nuts (i used pecans for the richness but walnuts or a mix will be fine)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (the best brand of these is Red star, found in bulk section of whole foods and some natural foods stores)
chikn/beef like seasoning to taste (this can be salty so test it out--maybe a tablespoon)
1 tsp bakon seasoning (optional)
1 TBSP italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp thyme
2 beaten eggs or egg replacer
1 cup grated vegan or regular cheddar cheese

Place all ingredients except oats, nuts, cheese, & eggs in a large pan.  Stir & bring to a boil over medium heat.  Stir in oats & remove from heat ASAP.  Cover and set aside to thicken and cool enough to handle (this will just be something you have to check on and see when its cool enough to not scramble the eggs).  Add cheese, beaten eggs, and nuts.

Preheat oven to 350.  Use parchment paper or a sprayed baking sheet and bake about 1/2 hour on each side.



3 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this recipe! I just realized that lots of the awesome vegetarian recipes my mom passed down to me that I share with people are actually your mom and grandmothers recipes. :) They taught her all of our family favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These burgers are truly awesome, ESP with some cheddar mixed in :-) I'll probably introduce more of my moms and grandmas recipes on here. It's so cool to know that you still remember! We go so far back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still remember and still use! My mom made me a recipe book for my wedding and it is full of their recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete