Thursday, July 5, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper YUM

Lately we have been eating a lot of homemade sandwich spreads, whether it be hummus or red pepper.  It has so nicely elimitated the need for cheese or faux lunchmeat on sandwiches, which saves me $ on groceries and is healthier.  I'm going to apologize in advance for no pictures.  I have had such a bad habit of not taking enough pictures because I'm always cooking these things on the fly.  One interesting fact:  I usually HATE red peppers, roasted or raw.  I absolutely loved this spread, and roasting the pepper at home makes such a difference.  Here goes:

Roasted Red Pepper spread
 (adjust amounts according to how much you need)

1 Red Bell pepper
Sundried tomatoes (I use Trader Joe's, dried, not packed in oil)
Olive Oil
Italian Seasoning
Salt
Ground black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic (or less if you are sensitive to it)
Lemon

Easy Directions:

Cut the pepper into relatively flat pieces.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and turn the broiler setting on in the oven.  Place the pepper pieces on the baking sheet and place about 4 inches from the broiler and roast for about 10 minutes.  The pepper pieces should have the lovely black crisp on them and the smell is amazing. 

Take the pepper pieces out of the oven and place them on a plate.  Cover the plate tightly with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes.  This will allow the skin to cool and it will peel right off.

Blend the peeled pepper with a handful of sundried tomatoes, seasonings to taste (I'm very generous with the italian seasoning), about a tablespoon or so of lemon juice, the garlic cloves, and olive oil.  I don't measure the olive oil exactly.  I usually gauge how much I put in by the texture the mixture is blending to.  I like the spread to slightly resemble pesto (a little oily with some texture). 

This will keep for a couple days in the fridge.  It is delicious on sandwiches, or you could use it for pasta or protein entrees.  Enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment